General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway

Introduction

Although General Terminus is closed, the remainder of this railway provides a useful route across the south side of Glasgow allowing freight from the Paisley Gilmour Street direction to run in the Rutherglen direction without reversal. This link passes through a tunnel and is largely in cuttings resulting in its colloquial name the 'Burma Road'.



Formerly it served the quayside facility at General Terminus on the River Clyde which replaced Windmillcroft Quay which was the waterside terminus of the Polloc and Govan Railway.






Dates

  /  /1846[General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway]
Act receives Royal assent
  /12/1848[General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway]
General Terminus to West Street (junction with the [Polloc and Govan Railway]) opened.
  /  /1865[General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /  /1958[Ravenscraig Steelworks]
[General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway]
General Terminus re-built for importing coal and iron ore as the facilities at Rothesay Dock and the [Rothesay Dock Branch] were not sufficient.
  /  /1962[Ravenscraig Steelworks]
[General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway]
Coal and Iron ore trains from General Terminus swap from steam to 2 class 20s.
  /12/1979[General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway]
Last iron ore trains run from the quayside.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


West Street Junction to General Terminus

The 'main line' extended the Polloc and Govan Railway to the new General Terminus quadside depot and sidings on the south bank of the River Clyde, replacing Windmillcroft Quay a little to the east.

This junction was between the Govan and Polloc Railway's Windmillcroft Quay line (1840) and the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway (1849). The facilities at General Terminus were superior to those at Windmillcroft Quay, which it replaced entirely in 1867.
...

More details


This is a three way junction, formerly a four way junction.
...

More details
Terminus Junction looking north. Junction between the lines to Muirhouse Central Junction (nearer) and Larkfield Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
GNSR 49 and NBR 256 lead the Scottish Industries Exhibition Special
...
Ewan Crawford Collection 11/09/1959
Overlooking Kinning Park Junction at Shields Road. The flyunder meets the Burma road. From left to right; Shields station (GSW, closed), Burma Road, ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This junction was between Terminus Junction and Scotland Street Junction on the mineral line to General Terminus. The location was overshadowed by Shields Road [CGU] station to the north of the City of Glasgow Union Railway and Shields station to the south on the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
...

More details

This was the junction between the original General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway and a connection from the City of Glasgow Union Railway from Port Eglinton Junction (Shields Bank Signal Box also closed). The junction allowed trains from the latter line access to General Terminus from the south. The approach from Shields Bank was single track, doubling at the junction.
...

More details
Scotland Street Junction signalbox in the shade of the M8. This box controlled the exit from General terminus and the junction between the lines from ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This large goods and mineral terminus served a quayside on the River Clyde.
...

More details
North British Railway wagon label for a wagon from General Terminus to South Leith via (where?). ...
Bill Roberton 06/02/1923
Looking south towards Scotland Street Junction over the approach to General Terminus not long after track lifting in 1987. The location was reached ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
This was the yard at General Terminus shortly after the track was lifted. The area was being landscaped to become a carpark for the Glasgow Garden ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Branch to General Terminus viewed from Shields Road just after track lifted and warehouses demolished. ...
Ewan Crawford //




Strathbungo Junction to Terminus Junction

This allowed access to General Terminus from the Barrhead line. A link from this served the Tradeston Gas Works. Although there were coal mines on that line, the curve increased in importance when the Barrhead line was extended south to Kilmarnock.

This junction remains open.
...

More details
A Kilmarnock service passing Muirhouse South on 25 August 2018. The line to the right leads to Larkfield Junction and has no passenger services. ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
A pair of 156s creeping through the shadows onto Muirhouse South Junction off the little used link from Larkfield Junction on their way to Crossmyloof ...
Fraser Cochrane 29/12/2008
Muirhouse South Junction facing north. Line to left for Cathcart Circle, to right to Barrhead. Distant left to Glasgow Central and distant right for ...
Ewan Crawford //
73060 approaches Strathbungo from St Enoch. ...
John Robin 17/07/1964

This junction was formed in 1879 when the Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway) (Gordon Street lines) met the 1849 General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway close to Strathbungo Junction (just to the south).
...

More details
Under the Muirhouse/Strathbungo Junctions gantry (last week 05/08/1952 of lower quadrant arms). 2.6.4T 42128 on inner circle train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/08/1952

This is a double junction opened in 1894 to complete the Cathcart District Railway. It provides a connection across the older 1849 Glasgow Harbour and General Terminus Railway to the Glasgow Central approach lines. Rather than cross that line on the level a double junction was formed.
...

More details
A service from East Kilbride on the last hop to Glasgow passes the junction on 21st July 2018. Photographed from the Platform of Pollokshields East, ...
David Panton 21/07/2018
The Saturday morning 9.56am Glasgow Central - London Euston via Kilmarnock approaching Muirhouse Junction on 8 August 1964. Locomotive in charge is ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/08/1964
Passing Muirhouse Central Junction is a 47 hauled Carlisle-Kilmarnock-Glasgow train. Cathcart circle line in foreground. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
156450 passes Muirhouse Central Junction with a service from Barrhead. Pollockshields East station is on the left and the 'Terminus Curve' bears ...
Bill Roberton 10/09/2018

This small railway workshops was south of Muirhouse Road on the west side of the Glasgow Central approach lines. It was bounded on the west side by the Muirhouse Saw mills and the line from Muirhouse to Terminus Junction.
...

More details



This is a three way junction, formerly a four way junction.
...

More details
Terminus Junction looking north. Junction between the lines to Muirhouse Central Junction (nearer) and Larkfield Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
GNSR 49 and NBR 256 lead the Scottish Industries Exhibition Special
...
Ewan Crawford Collection 11/09/1959
Overlooking Kinning Park Junction at Shields Road. The flyunder meets the Burma road. From left to right; Shields station (GSW, closed), Burma Road, ...
Ewan Crawford //1987




Shields to Terminus Junction

This link had two uses; it allowed trains from the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway to join the Polloc and Govan Railway without needing a reversal and it gave access to General Terminus, albeit via a reversal.

Shields No 1 Junction is the junction between the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway of 1840 and the Glasgow Harbour and General Terminus Railway of 1849. The latter now longer accesses General Terminus but continues in its role as a 'bypass' of Glasgow Central for freight from Ayrshire to Lanarkshire and vice versa.
...

More details
42208 passing Shields No 1 Junction on 23 May 1959 with an Ayr-Glasgow train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 23/05/1959
Fairburn 2-6-4 tank 42176 passing Shields No 1 Junction with a Glasgow - Gourock train on 5 May 1956. Built at Derby in 1948, the locomotive spent its ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956
Looking south at Shields Depot. Dive under to Burma Road in foreground. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
26034, tool van and crane take the dive under to join the Burma Road at Shields Junction No 1. Shields Depot behind. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This was a complex four way largely goods handling junction around 12 tracks wide including sidings. To the west and east was the Glasgow and South Western Railway's 1885 Paisley Canal line. A 1886 Caledonian Railway connection to the north east connected to the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway at Maxwell Junction. To the north west was a [[Glasgow and Paisley Joint ...

More details
Standard Mogul 77008 on the spur from Maxwell Junction up to Bellahouston No 1 on 5 May 1956. [Ref query 1080] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956

This was the junction between the 1849 General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway and the 1886 Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway). It provided a goods line up to Bellahouston No 1 Junction. The spur was built by the Caledonian Railway. The signal box opened with the junction in 1886. The box was on the north side of the junction.
...

More details
Jumbo 0-6-0 57296 westbound passing through Maxwell Junction on 5 May 1956 with a Dalmarnock to Ibrox football special. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956

This is a three way junction, formerly a four way junction.
...

More details
Terminus Junction looking north. Junction between the lines to Muirhouse Central Junction (nearer) and Larkfield Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
GNSR 49 and NBR 256 lead the Scottish Industries Exhibition Special
...
Ewan Crawford Collection 11/09/1959
Overlooking Kinning Park Junction at Shields Road. The flyunder meets the Burma road. From left to right; Shields station (GSW, closed), Burma Road, ...
Ewan Crawford //1987




Kinning Park Goods Branch

This branch ran from Kinning Park Junction to Kinning Park Goods. The goods yard is now closed, but a link was made at the west end of the site allowing trains to burrow under from Shields West Junction to Terminus Junction.

This junction was between Terminus Junction and Scotland Street Junction on the mineral line to General Terminus. The location was overshadowed by Shields Road [CGU] station to the north of the City of Glasgow Union Railway and Shields station to the south on the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
...

More details

This large goods station was located on the north side of the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway, however its approach was from the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway its connection being at the east end of the yard directly below the Paisley line from which it ran east to Kinning Park Junction. The yard was an addition to the General Terminus line and did not open with it.
...

More details
Kinning Park Goods still functioning as a coal yard after closure. Now the M8 industrial estate. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

View east at the remodelled Shields West Junction showing the three running lines. [See image 17695] for the line as it was in 2007. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/11/2011
Looking east at Shields West Junction (roughly the locale of the former Shields Junction No. 1) during works. The track to the right is lifted in the ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2007