Kinning Park Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Kinning Park Junction (1878-1987)

Opened on the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway.


Description

This junction was between Terminus Junction and Scotland Street Junction on the mineral line to General Terminus. The location was overshadowed by Shields Road [CGU] station to the north of the City of Glasgow Union Railway and Shields station to the south on the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

The junction provided access to the Kinning Park Goods Yard. The signal box was in the 'V' of the junction. The signal box closed in 1938.

The Kinning Park goods line was later carried through to Shields Junction No 1 and Shields Junction No 2 to provide a dive-under approach to Terminus Junction and the low level goods lines to Larkfield and Muirhouse.

The lines to General Terminus were closed and lifted around 1987. The location is no longer a junction but the dive under (known as the 'Burma Road') still exists.


Tags

Junction