Kinning Park Goods

Location type

Sidings

Name and dates

Kinning Park Goods (1878-1966)

Opened on the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway.

Description

This large goods station was located on the north side of the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway, however its approach was from the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway its connection being at the east end of the yard directly below the Paisley line from which it ran east to Kinning Park Junction. The yard was an addition to the General Terminus line and did not open with it.

There was a large goods shed in the centre of the site and sidings within it and to the north and south. Notably one ran from Kinning Park Junction westwards to parallel the Paisley line a short distance from it. This line was to be extended west to Shields No 1 Junction which provided the northern line in a flying junction between the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway and the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway.

Works were served from the yard. To the north was a saw mill and to the east the Strathclyde Works of P&W McLennan Ltd.

The site survived railway closure, the goods shed surviving into the 1980s. The southern portion of the site remained in use a s coal yard.

The area is now cleared and is used for offices and warehousing. The site of the former sawmills to the north is now under the M8. To the south, over the Paisley line, is the Shields Road Depot.

Tags

Siding yard goods yard

Aliases

McLellans Siding

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map


Dates

  /  /1875General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
Line from Kinning Park Junction to Kinning Park Goods (and a connection to Shields Junction No 1) authorised (replacing an earlier proposal of 1872). (Known as the Burma Road.) Authorised as Railway No 3.
07/10/1878General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
Kinning Park Junction to Kinning Park Goods opened.