This was the junction between the original General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway and a connection from the City of Glasgow Union Railway from Port Eglinton Junction (Shields Bank Signal Box also closed). The junction allowed trains from the latter line access to General Terminus from the south. The approach from Shields Bank was single track, doubling at the junction.
The junction between those two lines was to the south, to the north the lines split into a yard, eight tracks wide, on the approach to General Terminus. The signal box was on the west side of the junction, a little to the south.
After disconnection from the City of Glasgow Union Railway in 1957 the line remained open. The signal box was replaced. in 1957 with a modern flat roofed structure in grey brick and concrete. The box was further north, north of the Scotland Street overbridge.
When the M8 was built the box was covered by the new collosal motorway bridge passing overhead.
The box closed in 1983, the line being worked by one train working. The Hunterston Ore Terminal had opened in 1979 and traffic had dwindeled.
Closure led to track lifting around 1986. The disused box survived for a while afterwards and the trackbed was infilled.
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [Subway]
Kinning Park [Subway]
West Street [Subway]
Bridge Street [Subway]
| Kinning Park Junction|
Smithy Lye Carriage Sidings
South Dock Foundry
Shields Signal Box
Pollokshields Signal Box
Howden Scotland Street Works
Shields Bank Signal Box
Shields Junction No 1
Kinning Park Goods
West Street Mineral Depot
Bellahouston No 1 Junction
Shields Road Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1870||General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway|
Scotland Street bridge widening (just north of Scotland Street Junction).
|/ /1874||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Scotland Street Junction to Port Eglinton Junction opened.