This was an important junction where the routes to Ayrshire via Paisley Gilmour Street and Paisley Canal met before running together to Glasgow St Enoch. The layout altered over the years.
This junction was just west of Cumberland Street and controlled, to the west, the junction between the lines to Shields Road station (1870), Shields station (1885) and the goods line to Shields Bank Signal Box and General Terminus (1874). To the east it controlled the approach to Cumberland Street station. The original box opened in 1885 (replacing 'Shields Road No 2' which opened in 1870), on the south side of the junction directly west of the bridge over Salkeld Street.
The box was replaced here in 1903 with a new box on an over line gantry (it also replaced the box at West Street Junction [GSWR]), opened just after the four platform Cumberland Street station was opened, replacing Main Street Gorbals, and the lines west were realigned becoming eight tracks wide. The box was over the northern two tracks.
To the south was Port Eglinton Goods.
The signal box closed in 1967 when taken over by Glasgow Central Power Box.
West Street [Subway]
Bridge Street [Subway]
South Side [GB and NDR]
South Side [CR]
Main Street Gorbals
Shields Road [Subway]
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [GPJ]
| Port Eglinton Goods|
Salkeld Street Parcels Depot
Port Eglinton Basin
Eglinton Street Junction
West Street Goods
Glasgow Central Power Box
Cook Street Shed
Cook Street Goods
West Street Junction [GSWR]
Cook Street Junction
Eglinton Street Shed
Bridge Street Junction
Bridge Street Junction [South]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1874||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Scotland Street Junction to Port Eglinton Junction opened.
|01/07/1885||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Opened from Port Eglinton Junction to Elderslie Junction. The line uses much of the former route of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal, the line runs skew across a former aqueduct bridge at Paisley Hawkhead. The canal route under the main line at Elderslie was used for a link to the Bridge of Weir Railway so that Greenock Princes Pier bound trains did not have to cross the track used by Ayr to Glasgow trains. The former Port Eglinton Basin becomes the Salkeld Street Parcels depot.
|/ /1896||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Authorisation to quadruple line from Glasgow St Enoch to Port Eglinton Junction.
|/ /1898||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow St Enoch to Port Eglinton Junction quadrupled, complete with Union Bridge (over the Clyde) rebuilt to accommodates 4 tracks.