This junction was west of Shields Junction No 1. This junction provided a secondary connection between the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway and the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway (chiefly a goods line). It was at the end of the conventional quadruple track from Paisley Gilmour Street and there was a yard on the south side of the goods line, a series of single ended sidings approached from the west. The principal connection between the two lines was at Shields Junction No 1.
The original signal box was on the south side of the junction. This box was replaced in 1903 with a gantry box which stood over the slow westbound line of the Paisley route, a little to the west of the original box.
This was the west end of a goods line on the north side of the railway serving the Clutha Works which ran east to rejoin the main line at Shields Junction No 1.
This goods line was later connected to the Kinning Park Goods line - providing a 'dive under' to Terminus Junction.
This junction remains open for the latter purpose. The Shields junctions were rebuilt and resignalled in 1966-67. The signal box closed in 1967, control passing to Glasgow Central Power Box.
Kinning Park [Subway]
Ibrox [Govan Platforms]
Bellahouston Park Halt
Ibrox Excursion Platforms
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [Subway]
| Bellahouston Carriage Sidings|
Bellahouston Mineral Depot
Bellahouston No 2 Junction
Shields West Junction
Bellahouston Cleaning Shed
Shields Road Depot
Bellahouston No 1 Junction
Kinning Park Goods
Shields Junction No 1
Princes Dock Goods
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways