This yard is in the north of Ayr, directly north of Newton-on-Ayr station. The yard is largely associated with the operation of Ayr Harbour for coal export and the various Ayrshire coal loading points. With the demise of Scottish Coal (April 2013) and the reduced demand for coal for power stations the yard is now very under used.
The yard developed around Falkland Junction. Here the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway of 1839 was met by the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway in 1856. Sidings developed around this junction and foundries and chemical works were established.
A line east to Mauchline, from another triangular junction, opened in 1870.
Ayr Wet Dock was opened in 1873. A branch to Ayr Harbour was added to the network, connecting with a triangular junction. This used a similar approach to the Ayr Waggonway. The dock was equipped with coal drops and sidings down the west and east sides.
The yard continued to grow absorbing the sites of some of the chemical works and pushing the road on the west side out onto the beach.
Ayr Shed [1st]
Prestwick International Airport
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Maybole Junction [Station]
| Falkland Junction|
Ayr Tram Depot [Trams]
Scottish Agricultural Industries Works
Ayr Harbour Junction
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Newton Carpet Works
Ayr Harbour South
St John's Tower
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|