Ayr Harbour (1873-)
Ayr Wet Dock was opened in 1873. A branch to Ayr Harbour opened from a triangular junction meeting the existing lines at Falkland Junction and Newton Junction [Ayr].
The dock had coal drops at the north end and sidings down both west and east sides.
Coal trains would often be marshalled in Falkland Yard going to or from the dock.
Until the 1980s the Scottish Agricultural Industries Works were served by the sidings at the north end of the dock
Sidings on the west side of the dock have been used for coal export in more recent years. The sidings have been rationalised.
Ayr Shed [1st]
Prestwick International Airport
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [1st)
Other railway and industry locations
Ayr Harbour South
Ayr Harbour Junction
Scottish Agricultural Industries Works
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Newton Carpet Works
Ayr Tram Depot [Trams]
St John^s Tower
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1900||Dalmellington Ironworks|
Iron imported from Bilbao and Santander and taken by train from Ayr Harbour to Waterside.