Falkland Junction (1856-)
Opened on the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway.
Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
This junction is to the north of Newton-on-Ayr station. Today it is where the lines of Falkland Yard fan out on either side of the line, particularly to the west on the approach to Ayr Harbour.
The Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway was met by the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway here in 1856. Around this junction Falkland Yard developed. See that entry for more information.
Probably originally called Dalmellington Branch Junction.
The signal box was on the west side of the junction. It was replaced in 1931 with a box slightly further north and with yard sidings to its west. (The 1858 OS map shows an earlier incarnation in the 'V' of the junction called 'Junction House', a little west of Falkland House.)
The box closed in 1985, taken ovrer by a temporary box at Ayr, in preparation for the Ayrshire electrification. It is now controlled by the Paisley Signalling Centre.
A road bridge crosses over the line just to the north, affording a good view of the line to north and south.
Ayr Shed [1st]
Prestwick International Airport
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Other railway and industry locations
Ayr Tram Depot [Trams]
Scottish Agricultural Industries Works
Ayr Harbour Junction
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Newton Carpet Works
Ayr Harbour South
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|