This line is open for freight between Dalrymple Junction and Chalmerston near Dalmellington. Currently there is no traffic (2018). A section was opened from Holehouse Junction to the Broomhill Opencast site, but was presently seeing little use and has been uplifted. The line also includes the section from Falkland Junction in the north of Ayr through the new Ayr station to Dalrymple Junction, still in use for passengers and freight for Stranraer.
A short portion of this line, the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway was built in isolation for the Dalmellington Iron Works before the rest of the line. This company was intended to build a line along a similar route to the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway but collapsed with only the middle portion built by the Houldsworths, owners of the ironworks.
|/ /1840||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Originally promoted as the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway it was to run from Ayr to Dalmellington and on to Castle Douglas to join the British and Irish Grand Junction Railway, which later was opened as the Portpatrick Railway.
|04/08/1853||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Authorised from Ayr to Dalmellington. This incarnation of the line was closely associated with the Houldsworth family's Dalmellington Ironworks at Waterside and associated coal mines.
|15/05/1856||[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway]|
Opened for goods.
|07/08/1856||[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway]|
Opened for passengers also. Station at Ayr Townhead opened (temporary first version), Glasgow trains continue to use the old station.
|01/07/1857||[Glasgow Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway]|
[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway]
Ayr (Townhead) becomes the main station in Ayr, Ayr (Old) is closed except for goods traffic.
|01/08/1858||[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway]|
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
Ayr and Dalmellington Railway absorbed by Glasgow and South Western Railway.
|06/04/1964||[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway]|
Dalmellington to Ayr (Dalrymple Junction) closed to passengers.
|06/07/1964||[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway]|
Dalmellington to Cutler Sidings (excluded) closed to freight.
|/03/1980||[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway][Bairds and Dalmellington Limited]|
Last train, preserved locomotive and wagons, runs from Cutler Sidings to Minnivey. Cutler Sidings (excluded) to Minnivey (excluded) closed and lifted.
|/12/1986||[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway]|
Loading of opencast coal at Dunaskin from Benbain ceases. Dalrymple Junction to Cutler Sidings closed. Track not lifted. Dunaskin Washery officially closes in 1988.
|/ /1988||[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway]|
Line re-opened to freight from Dalrymple Junction to Dunaskin. Cutler Sidings lifted.
|18/07/1998||[Ayr and Dalmellington Railway]|
Holehouse Junction to Broomhill Opencast (reinstated) re-opened.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This yard is in the north of Ayr, directly north of Newton-on-Ayr station. The yard is largely associated with the operation of Ayr Harbour for coal export and the various Ayrshire coal loading points. With the demise of Scottish Coal (April 2013) and the reduced demand for coal for power stations the yard is now very under used.
This is a double track four arch viaduct which crosses the River Ayr, also known as River Ayr Viaduct. ...More details
This station has four platforms - two through platforms on the route to Stranraer and two bays for traffic to the north.
The railway is double track from Dalrymple Junction north to Ayr. Both the lines to Girvan and Waterside are single track. The single track lines meet and the line doubles to the north of the junction.
This was a short lived four platform interchange station just south of Dalrymple Junction. The platforms were short.
This single platform station opened to passengers and goods in 1856. The platform was on the north side of the single track. There was a goods yard at the east end of the station, on the north and south sides of the line, approached from the east.
This was an interchange platform with two faces in the 'V' of Holehouse Junction. The 1856 line from Ayr to Dalmellington was met by a 1872 branch from Belston Junction via Rankinston giving it access towards Dalmellington and particularly the Dalmellington Iron Works at Waterside. Both lines were single track.
Junction for the Downieston No 1 pit and ng to Carnochan No 1 - reached by timber bridge. ...More details
The original Patna station was directly south of the Downieston bridge. There was a short platform on the west side of the line with a building. There was a signal box at the north end of the platform.
This replaced the original Patna [1st] station, with the platform moving from directly south of the Downieston bridge to south of the goods shed. There was a single platform on the west side of the line. What had been a siding on the west side of the line was looped at the south end and the platform opened alongside. This gave the station a goods bypass.
Coal mine, 70 fathoms deep. Retained for pumping after closure - date of closure unknown and date of pumping ceasing assumed. ...More details
This portion was the only portion of the failed Ayrshire and Galloway Railway to open, it served the Dalmellington Iron Works. It opened in isolation and was later reached and extended by the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway.
This was the terminus of the line from Ayr. The station was laid out with a goods yard on the west side, passenger station in the middle and locomotive shed to the east. The locomotive shed was probably originally the goods shed.