This short section of the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway was built to allow the Dalmellington Iron Company to reach the Sillyhole coal pits. The Ayrshire and Galloway failed and the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway was promoted to build the line at either end; Ayr Falkland Junction - Waterside, Sillyhole Pits - Dalmellington.
|/ /1840||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Originally promoted as the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway it was to run from Ayr to Dalmellington and on to Castle Douglas to join the British and Irish Grand Junction Railway, which later was opened as the Portpatrick Railway.
These locations are along the line.
This station is closed. The two storey station building remains standing although it has lost its platform canopy. It was a single platform station although there were two loops alongside the platform line and a siding on the east side, approached from the north. The goods yard was to the south of the station and on the west side, approached from the south. The signal box (1893) was at the south ...More details
These were the exchange sidings between the Bairds and Dalmellington Limited system and the London, Midland and Scottish Railway at Dunaskin. The sidings were located adjacent to the Dunaskin Central Washery on the private system. The sidings were laid by the LMS.