Castle Douglas

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Castle Douglas (1859-1965)

Opened on the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway.

Opened on the Kirkcudbright Railway.

Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station in the north of Castle Douglas.

There were two through platforms and a goods dock at the east end of the westbound platform. At the west end of the station was the junction between the lines to Portpatrick and Kirkcudbright. Two goods lines bypassed the station on its north side. The goods yard was on the south side, approached from the east. An engine shed was on the north side of the line, also approached from the east.

The station was a terminus from 1859 to 1861 when the line was extended west by the Portpatrick Railway, the roads to the west requiring a little re-alignment. The connection was made with an end -on junction at the west end of the station.

The Kirkcudbright Railway opened in 1864. Initially the two single track lines approaching from the west met and passed under the road before doubling.

In 1888 an eastbound platform and loop were provided.

With doubling of the line from Dalbeattie to Castle Douglas in 1894 the double line was extended west on both the routes, and the Kirkcudbright line re-aligned slightly to the south and passing independently of the Portpatrick line under the road bridge to reach the station. The junction became a double track junction. The westbound platform was extended west along the branch line to the road bridge.

The branch connection was singled in 1956 and platform cut back. The two goods lines to the north of the station were removed in 1959.

Closure came in 1965.

Two goods sheds remain at the station site. One in stone and the other a more modern concrete structure.


Tags

Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map





Dates

  /  /1840Ayr and Dalmellington Railway
Originally promoted as the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway it was to run from Ayr to Dalmellington and on to Castle Douglas to join the British and Irish Grand Junction Railway, which later was opened as the Portpatrick Railway.
12/03/1861Portpatrick Railway
Stranraer Town to Castle Douglas opened to the public. Most of the line was single track. Stations at; Stranraer, Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael.