Glenluce

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Glenluce (1861-1965)

Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.


Description

This two platform station was in the north of Glenluce, about a mile east of the GlenLuce Viaduct (or Luce Viaduct). There was a goods yard on the south side, approached from the west. The station was on a loop, the line being single track. The main station building was on the westbound platform.

There was a tall timber signal box dating from 1890 at the west end of the eastbound platform.

The station, box and line closed in 1965.

The opening of the railway severed North Street and a new road alignment was opened to the east crossing the line with a bridge.

The road bridge remains today but the station site is now occupied by housing.

The disused Glenluce Viaduct is to the west, between the former station and Challoch Junction where the line from Girvan today comes from the north before continuing, using the former Portpatrick Railway, to Stranraer.

Local

Glenluce Abbey is around 1.5 miles north west of the former station.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map




Dates

12/03/1861Portpatrick Railway
Stranraer Town to Castle Douglas opened to the public. Most of the line was single track. Stations at; Stranraer, Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael.
14/06/1965Portpatrick RailwayCastle Douglas and Dumfries Railway
Challoch Junction to Dumfries closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. The 'Paddy' is diverted via Mauchline and the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.