This was a two platform with a loop on a single track line. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. Opposite was a wooden waiting shelter on the westbound platform. The station was about a quarter of a mile west of Kirkcowan itself.
There was a goods yard at the west end, north side of the line. One siding served a goods shed and another a loading bank, just to the north of the shed.
The signal box, opened 1890, was at the west end of the westbound platform which opened at the same time. The loop had opened in 1865.
The loop was extended in 1941 as part of the preparations for the line to Cairnryan opening.
The station, box, loop and line closed in 1965.
After closure the Station Road, which crossed the east end of the station, was re-aligned in a straight line crossing the station site. The station cottage is now on the north side of this road and large portions of the platforms on the south side. The trackbed is partly infilled.
The Bladnoch Viaduct was to the east and the Tarf Viaduct to the west.
Challoch Junction Golfers Platform
Millisle Exchange Platform
| Bladnoch Viaduct|
Newton Stewart Shed
Carsegowan Munitions Factory
Barskeoch Level Crossing
Torhouse Stone Circle
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Stranraer to Castle Douglas opened to the public. Most of the line was single track. Stations at; Stranraer, Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael.
|14/06/1965||Portpatrick RailwayCastle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction to Dumfries closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. The 'Paddy' is diverted via Mauchline and the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn