Maxwelltown Factory Siding

Location type


Name and dates

Maxwelltown Factory Siding (1940-1990)

Opened on the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway.


This was a siding for a Second World War munitions factory opened by the Ministry of supply in 1940. The siding made a trailing connection to the line west of Maxwelltown station and was approached by reversal from the west. The works, known as MoS Drungans (Dumfries), produced guncotton. This was converted to triple-base cordite at MoS Dalbeattie (Southwick Ammunition Factory) and into small arms monobase granulated guncotton at MoS Powfoot (MOD Eastriggs).

After the Second World War this became an ICI works. Oil and chemicals were delivered to the site and 'Melinex' taken out. (Oil sidings were also located at South East Oils's Maxwelltown depot.)

The long siding ran east and then turned south, with a yard and sidings serving buildings running from the long siding. The factory had its own locomotives.

In 1965 the line was cut back from Challoch Junction, near Stranraer, to the Maxwelltown factory where it was retained as a reversing spur. The factory continued to be accessed from Maxwelltown Goods Junction and the line from there was reduced to a single track.

Traffic ceased around 1990. The line officially closed in 1990 and was dismantled east to close to Maxwelltown Goods Junction where a very short siding remains.

The location has many names associated with it which include: Cargenbridge, Maxwelltown, ICI and Drungans.


Sidings ICI Second World War


Cargenbridge Siding,Maxwelltown Factory,ICI Siding,Maxwelltown ICI Factory,Drungans ICI Works

Chronology Dates

14/06/1965Portpatrick Railway Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway
Challoch Junction (excluded) to Dumfries (excluded) closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. Challoch Junction to Maxwelltown Factory Siding (excluded) closed to all traffic. On the surviving part of the line Castle Kennedy and Dunragit stations closed.
  /  /1967Portpatrick Railway
Track lifting begins between Challoch Junction and Maxwelltown Factory Siding.


The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn