Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.
This was a two platform station with the main station building on the westbound platform. There was a goods yard on the south side, accessed by reversing from the westbound platform. The station had a loop on the single track line. The station was just under a mile north of Creetown itself.
The station building had an interesting attractive rubble construction style. The signal box at the east end of the westbound platform was replaced in 1930 with a Caledonian Railway style box. There was a water tank at the west end of the same platform. The loop was lengthened in 1941 in preparation for the opening of the Cairnryan branch.
After closure the goods shed survived intact and the station building became roofless. The site was used by a coal merchant. Both have been restored as houses. A railway cottage also remains.
Gatehouse of Fleet
Millisle Exchange Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Newton Stewart Shed
Big Water of Fleet Viaduct
Cairn Holy Chambered Cairns
Torhouse Stone Circle
Barskeoch Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Stranraer Town to Castle Douglas opened to the public. Most of the line was single track. Stations at; Stranraer, Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael.
|14/06/1965||Portpatrick RailwayCastle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction to Dumfries closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. The 'Paddy' is diverted via Mauchline and the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn