This was a two platform station with a loop on the single track Port Road line from Dumfries to Stranraer. It was the summit of the Portpatrick Railway at 495 ft.
The main station building, a single storey building with crow step gables later removed at the west end, was on the westbound platform. The 1891 signal box was on its west side.
There was no eastbound platform originally, this was added in 1891 alongside the existing loop. This platform had a waiting room.
The goods yard was east of the westbound platform, on the south side of the line and approached from the west. This served a loading bank. By reversal a goods shed, just east of the station building, could be reached.
The station was some six and a half miles from Gatehouse itself. Due to the distance another station, Tarff, equally (closer to seven miles) as far from Gatehouse of Fleet, was also known, or partly known, as Gatehouse from 1865 to 1871.
Dromore is a mile away to the North North East As the crow files.
The station, box and line closed in 1965.
The station building remains in use as a house and the platforms are intact.
East of the station the line ran past the Clints of Dromore, on the north side, to Big Water of Fleet Viaduct.
Millisle Exchange Platform
| Big Water of Fleet Viaduct|
Little Water of Fleet Viaduct
Carsegowan Munitions Factory
Gatehouse of Fleet [Town]
Loch Skerrow [Loch]
Cairn Holy Chambered Cairns
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Dromore re-named Gatehouse.
Gatehouse re-named Dromore for Gatehouse.
Tarff for Gatehouse re-named Gatehouse [Tarff]. Presumably the Glasgow and South Western Railway (who now owned the Kirkcudbright Railway) was competing with the Caledonian Railway operated Portpatrick Railway for Gatehouse of Fleet traffic - for which neither of the two stations were convenient.
Dromore for Gatehouse re-named Gatehouse.
Gatehouse re-named Dromore.
Dromore re-named Gatehouse of Fleet.
Gatehouse of Fleet closed to passengers.
Gatehouse of Fleet re-opened to passengers.
|14/06/1965||Portpatrick RailwayCastle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction to Dumfries closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. The 'Paddy' is diverted via Mauchline and the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn