Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.
This was a two platform station with a loop. The River Dee was to the west and village of Crossmichael to the east. The main station building was on the south bound platform. The platforms were at the south end of the loop.
The goods yard was accessed via a reversing spur accessed from the southbound platform. The yard had a pair of sidings.
The signal box, dating from 1891, was at the north end of the northbound platform, opposite the goods yard turn out and half way along the loop.
The station, loop, box and line closed in 1965.
The platforms, station building (in use as a house) and signal box still stand.
Castle Douglas (St Andrews Street)
Bridge of Dee
Gatehouse of Fleet
Other railway and industry locations
Loch Ken Viaduct
Castle Douglas Shed
River Dee Viaduct [East]
River Dee Viaduct [West]
Kirkgunzeon Lane Viaduct
Loch Skerrow [Loch]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Stranraer Town to Castle Douglas opened to the public. Most of the line was single track. Stations at; Stranraer, Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael.
|14/06/1965||Portpatrick RailwayCastle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction to Dumfries closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. The 'Paddy' is diverted via Mauchline and the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn