This was a two platform station in the north of Dalbeattie. It had a stone station building on the westbound platform and timber one on the eastbound.
There was a generous goods yard at the west end, south of the line, approached from the west. The goods yard served the town and nearby Craignair Quarries (a mile south west over the Urr Water), a source of a particularly hard form of granite suitable for building quaysides and for granite setts with stone shipped worldwide. A siding on the north side, west end of the station, served the Dalbeattie Creamery.
An access road, ^New Road^, was added, after opening, on the south side of the station. This would allow access to the station and goods yard from the Dalbeattie - Haugh of Urr road without having to pass through the centre of Dalbeattie.
The signal box was at the west end of the station, south side of the line alongside the goods yard turn out.
The station was originally with a loop on a single track line. The line was doubled in 1888.
The station, signal box and line closed in 1965.
The station was located at the north end of Station Road. Since closure this road has been continued through the station site to new housing, there was no level crossing or bridge while the line was open.
Portions of the creamery loading bank and platforms remained. A railway cottage, was was at the east end of the westbound platform, remains on the east side of Station Road. Much of the station site has been built over with new houses on Station Drive. Most of the route of the railway through Dalbeattie has been built over.
Castle Douglas (St Andrews Street)
Bridge of Dee
| Dalbeattie Creamery|
Kirkgunzeon Lane Viaduct
Southwick Ammunition Factory
Southwick Factory Siding
Castle Douglas Shed
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|06/04/1877||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Fixed rates arranged for the carriage of granite from Craignair Quarries from Dalbeattie to Glasgow and Carlisle.
|/ /1894||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Buittle station closed on doubling of line between Dalbeattie and Castle Douglas.
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn