This was the terminus of the railway from Castle Douglas. It was in the northern part of the town close to the bridge over the River Dee, the Kirkcudbright Bridge, with a two storey building frontage onto the St Mary's Street and Bridge Street corner.
It was a single platform terminus approached from the north with the platform line (on the east side) and loop passing under a timber trainshed at the buffer end of the station. The goods shed was directly to the west, the trainshed being braced between the station building and goods shed. Goods sidings were on the west side.
Built into the east side of the north end of the platform was the single road engine shed. It was an unusual building with the shed foreman's house built onto its east side at the southern end. The water tank was just north of the platform, on the west side of the shed line. North, again, of the shed siding was the turntable siding. Both were approached from the north.
The signal box was at the north end, east side of the line. It opened in 1889. A cattle bank was added on the west side in 1894.
In 1955 the engine shed closed and the box was reduced to a ground frame.
The station and line closed in 1965, the closure not only to Castle Douglas but, later that year, as far as Dumfries as the Port Road closed altogether.
After closure the site was redeveloped in the 1970s. The main building survives but the site of the platforms and goods yard were taken for new housing. Kirkcudbright has expanded considerably since closure of the railway and the trackbed is largely occupied for about a third of a mile north from the former station.
The station building remains in superb condition. It is now the Station House Cookery School .
Bridge of Dee
Castle Douglas (St Andrews Street)
Gatehouse of Fleet
Millisle Exchange Platform
| Tongland Viaduct|
Tongland Car Factory
River Dee Viaduct [West]
River Dee Viaduct [East]
The Stewartry Museum
Gatehouse of Fleet [Town]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Opened from Castle Douglas (Portpatrick Railway and Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway) to Kirkcudbright.
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn