Belston Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Belston Junction (1872-1975)

Opened on the Ayr and Cumnock Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

Description

This was the junction between the 1872 line from Annbank to Cronberry and its branch to Holehouse Junction. Access to the branch was from the east. Both lines were single track, the branch having a loop just to the west of the junction. The branch provided a route to the Dalmellington Iron Works from the Muirkirk direction.

The first signal box (1884) was on the south side of the junction, replaced with a box on north side, a little to the west.

The line west of Littlemill Colliery Pits Nos 2,3,5 (excluded), on the Holehouse route, closed in 1950. East from Belston (excluded) closed in 1966 and the box closed.

The junction remained as a reversing spur for Littlemill until 1975.

The former junction's formation remains, partly landscaped into farmland.

Tags

Junction





Dates

  /  /1872Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Holehouse Junction to Belston Junction opened.
03/04/1966Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Dykes Junction to Belston Junction closed to freight.
01/01/1975Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Littlemill Colliery to Belston Junction closed to freight.
01/01/1975Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Belston Junction to Drongan closed to freight.