Cronberry

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Cronberry (1876-1951)

Opened on the Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).


Description

Cronberry was a two platform station to the immediate east of Cronberry Junction between the lines from Auchinleck and Belston Junction. To the east the line ran to Muirkirk [2nd]. The platforms were stone with a timber station building on the westbound platform and a signal box at the west end.

The station did not open with the line, but four years after the opening of the junction.

The station had a single line goods yard, leading from the Belston route at the west end.

Little remains of the station, some portions of platform and much more clearly the trackbed and former road approach to the station.

Cronberry may seem like an odd location today for a station, but it was a junction and there were many mines here with the pattern of mines varying over the years.

11/05/2018

Tags

Station junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map