Dumfries House (1872-1949)
Opened on the Ayr and Cumnock Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
This was a single platform station. It served Dumfries House [House] about a mile to the north. The platform was on the north side, located in a deep cutting. There was no goods yard here - this was Dumfries House Siding which was located at Skares (due to the unsuitability of the deep cutting at Dumfries House station).
The station building was located above the cutting, just to the west of railway cottages. There was a signal box above the platform at the top of the cutting.
The station was built on the Ayr to Cronberry line which relieved the main line of the Glasgow and South Western Railway of traffic from Muirkirk [1st] and also served several coal mines along its length.
The station closed to passengers in 1949. The line closed in 1964.
The cutting has been infilled and little remains other than the former railway cottage.
To the west was Dykes Junction and to the east Knockterra Signal Box.
Dumfries House is about a mile to the north of the former station by road.
Other railway and industry locations
Knockterra Signal Box
Dumfries House Siding
Whitehill 1,2 Colliery
Dumfries House [House]
Whitehill 3,4 Colliery
Dykes Pit No 1
Glengyron Coal Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|