This was a single platform station, the platform and station building being on the west side of the single track railway.
The goods yard was to the south, with a goods shed and loading bank sidings. It was accessed via a headshunt, approached from the north.
The signal box was at the south end, on the west side of the line.
To the south was a branch to Drongan Castle Colliery which ran south from the main line and was approached from the north.
The station closed in 1951.
There was a major rebuilding in 1957 for the opening of the Killoch Colliery Branch (British Railways) in 1959. For this several loops were installed to the south of the station.
A long pair of loop ran from directly south of the station to the junction for the Killoch and Drongan Castle branches. The goods yard was relaid. The signal box was replaced. The new box was on the east side of the line about midway along the loops.
In 1975 the main line closed - it had served Littlemill Colliery Pits Nos 2,3,5 via a reversal at Belston Junction latterly. The signal box closed and loops were taken out. The Killoch Colliery branch remained open.
The line remains open to the washery at Killoch.
Cairntable Halt [Knockshinnoch]
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
| Carston Colliery / Shieldmains No 14|
Shieldmains Nos 6,7,14 Collieries
Sundrum Pit Nos 3 and 4
Sundrum Pit No 2
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1960||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Killoch Colliery line opened from Drongan station.
|01/01/1975||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Belston Junction to Drongan closed to freight.