Ayr and Mauchline Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)

Introduction

This line is open. The opening of this line reduced the distance to Ayr Harbour from the Muirkirk line and kept goods trains from Kilmarnock station, a portion of the Glasgow and South Western Railway main line and the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was the 1870 junction between the main line from Glasgow and the line from Mauchline, giving both lines access to Ayr. It was a double track curve. The signal box, opened with the junction, was on the east side of the junction, just north of Hawkhill Avenue. The box was replaced with a larger box on a similar site.
...

More details
42879 with a Kilmarnock-Ayr local train passes Ayr shed at Hawkhill Junction. 1960. ...
Bill Hamilton //1960
73152 with the SO Newcastle to Stranraer train at Hawkhill Junction in the early 1960s. ...
Bill Hamilton //
72007 Clan MacKintosh proceeding from Ayr station to Ayr shed via Newton Junction with Hawkhill Signalbox in background. This view taken in ...
Bill Hamilton //1961
44798 with a Glasgow St Enoch to Ayr train approaches Hawkhill Junction while a Standard 5 with the SO train from Dumfries to Ayr waits on the curve ...
Bill Hamilton //

This was the eastern junction of a triangle of junctions. The northern junction is Newton Junction [Ayr] and southern Hawkhill Junction. It was a double track junction.
...

More details
Ex-LMS 'Crab' 2-6-0 42912 with brakevan approaching Blackhouse Junction on 24 May 1962. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/05/1962
Looking west over the former Blackhouse Junction towards Ayr depot in 1992. ...
Bill Roberton //1992
Cowans-Sheldon steam crane ADE971589, demonstrating at the eastern side of Ayr depot during the 1983 Open Day. Blackhouse Junction signalbox is ...
Bill Roberton 29/10/1983
Jubilee no 5690 Leander on the returning RTC West Highlander (carrying the headboard of The Merseyside Express) photographed at ...
Ken Browne 06/09/2010

This was a two platform station with the main station building on the Ayr bound platform. The goods yard was on the south side, approached from the west. The first signal box was west of the station, between the main line and the goods yard sidings. This was replacec in 1908 with a new box on the north side of the line.
...

More details
One of Ayr shed's 'Crab' 2-6-0s no 42805 with eastbound coal empties at Auchincruive on 24 May 1962. [Ref query 8 September 2018] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/05/1962

Black 5 44785 passing Mossblown Junction westbound in May 1962 on its way back to Ayr. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/05/1962
One of Ayr shed's Crab 2-6-0s no 42916 brings a westbound goods train through Mossblown Junction on 24 May 1962 heading for home. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/05/1962

This former station was actually in the village of Mossblown. Annbank itself is about a mile to the south by road. A junction remains here today for the Killoch Washery off the Ayr to Mauchline line.
...

More details
One of Ayr shed's Fowler 2P 4-4-0s no 40574 poses during a photostop at Annbank on 9 May 1959 with the SLS Scottish Area 'Land o' Burns' ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/05/1959
Ex-Caledonian 'Jumbo' 0-6-0 no 57364 runs through Annbank on 30 June 1959 with a coal train from Bank Junction destined for Ayr Harbour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //
Coal from Killoch Washery takes the route to Ayr at Annbank. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2006
View towards Ayr from the platform end. ...
John Robin 30/09/1963

The SLS Land o' Burns railtour from Ayr makes a photostop at Tarbolton station on 9 May 1959.The locomotive is 2P 4-4-0 no 40574. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/05/1959
BR 'Clan' Pacific no 72001 Clan Cameron climbing Tarbolton Bank in 1961 with a Glasgow Salkeld Street - Carlisle parcels train. [Ref query 28 ...
Bill Hamilton //1961
Caley 'Jumbo' 0-6-0 57364 passing through Tarbolton station on 30 March 1959 with a coal train from Bank Junction destined for Ayr Harbour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/03/1959
Ayr based 'Crab' 2-6-0 no 42910 photographed near Tarbolton on 30 March 1959 with a coal train from Kirkconnel bound for Ayr Harbour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/03/1959

This was a three platform station about half a mile to the south of Mauchline itself. The main station building was on the main line southbound platform. There was a goods yard at the east end, north of the line, approached by reversal.
...

More details
44899 calls at Mauchline with the 5.30pm from Glasgow St Enoch to Carlisle. June 1961 ...
Bill Hamilton 04/06/1961
45160 approaching junction with the G&SW main line with the 1.35 Falkland Junction to Saltney freight. 1961. ...
Bill Hamilton 04/06/1961
A Dumfries - Glasgow St Enoch local photographed shortly after leaving Mauchline in the spring of 1959. The locomotive is Black 5 4-6-0 no 45081. [Ref ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/03/1959
45693 approaching Mauchline Jct with a Glasgow St Enoch to Carlisle local train. The lines from Ayr are in foreground. August 1960. ...
Bill Hamilton 04/08/1960