This railway is still open. It is served by passenger trains between Ayr to Girvan and other services from Glasgow to Stranraer and (formerly) Newcastle to Stranraer operated by ScotRail. At the time of writing (2002) there are no regular freight services.
|/ /1856||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|24/05/1860||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Opened from Maybole Junction (Ayr and Maybole Railway) to Girvan [1st]. Maybole [1st] is replaced by Maybole and becomes a goods station.
|/ /1865||Maybole and Girvan RailwayGlasgow and South Western Railway|
Maybole and Girvan Railway absorbed by Glasgow and South Western Railway.
|05/10/1877||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Line opened from a junction at Girvan (Maybole and Girvan Railway) to Challoch Junction (Portpatrick Railway). (Alternative date: 3/10/1870).
|/ /1892||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Girvan (Old) closed and becomes a goods depot only.
|/ /1959||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
DMUs introduced on Glasgow to Stranraer workings.
|14/06/1965||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Line starts to carry extra workings on closure of the Portpatrick Railway between Challoch Junction and Dumfries (Cargenbridge Chemical Works).
|/ /1982||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Girvan (Old) closed to goods due to poor condition of bridge.
|/ /1984||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Glasgow to Stranraer DMUs withdrawn and replaced with locomotive hauled 'SEALINK' slam-door stock.
|/ /1987||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
'SEALINK' stock withdrawn and broken up at the St Rollox Works at Springburn, replaced with other stock.
|03/10/1988||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Class 156 Sprinters introduced on line.
|/ /1989||Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Girvan (Old) line lifted.
|/ /1990||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway
Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Stranraer to Euston sleeper withdrawn.
These locations are along the line.
Also known as Maybole and Girvan Railway Junction and Maybole Goods Junction. This was the junction between the original route of the Ayr and Maybole Railway and its extension by the Maybole and Girvan Railway south to Girvan. The junction was some way north east of Maybole as an end-on junction between the lines was not possible. The original terminus was left on a short ...More details
This is a single platform station, formerly a two platform station. The southbound platform remains in use, the northbound is overgrown, disused since 1973. The station building, on the in use platform, is of red sandstone and two storeys. It is partly in railway use, partly housing and also houses a convenience store. The building on the former northbound platform has been demolished.
This short lived station was around a mile and a half west of Crosshill itself.
Kilkerran was a double platform station with the main two storey station building on the southbound platform.
This signal box was to the north east of Dailly station. It controlled access to Romilly Colliery and the Dalquharran Tile Works sidings. The box was on the north side of the line at the point of divergence of the sidings which were also on the north side of the line and served from the east.
This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the southbound platform. The building, Glasgow and South Western Railway in style, bore a strong resemblance to the now gone building on the northbound platform at Maybole.. There was a goods yard to the east, on the south side of the line, served from the west. The platforms crossed the main road to the south of the ...More details
This 1903 signal box controlled access to Bargany Colliery which was on the south side of the line and approached from the north east. The box was on the north side of the line.
This was a two platform station crossed by a road bridge. The main station building was on the southbound platform. The building had an unusual largely glazed extension at the south end of the building, perhaps the waiting room for Killochan Castle. The building was replaced around 1900.
This was a two platform station built during World War Two to serve the temporary ICI munitions factory built at Grangeston Distillery.
This was a single platform station which officially closed as a goods only yard in the 1989 partly due to the condition of the single track bridge over the Water of Girvan.