This railway is still open. It is served by passenger trains from Ayr to Girvan and other services from Glasgow and Kilmarnock to Stranraer and Newcastle to Stranraer operated by ScotRail. At the time of writing (2018) there are no regular freight services.
|/ /1854||[Ayr and Maybole Railway]|
Act receives Royal assent
|15/09/1856||[Ayr and Maybole Railway]|
Opened to passengers.
|13/10/1856||[Ayr and Maybole Railway]|
Opened to freight.
|24/05/1860||[Maybole and Girvan Railway]|
Opened from Maybole Junction ([Ayr and Maybole Railway]) to Girvan (Old). Maybole (Old) is replaced by Maybole (New) and becomes a goods station.
|/ /1871||[Ayr and Maybole Railway]|
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
Ayr and Maybole Railway absorbed by Glasgow and South Western Railway.
These locations are along the line.
The railway is double track from Dalrymple Junction north to Ayr. Both the lines to Girvan and Waterside are single track. The single track lines meet and the line doubles to the north of the junction.
This was a short lived four platform interchange station just south of Dalrymple Junction. The platforms were short.
This is a closed station south west of Dalrymple Junction and north west of Dalrymple itself. The station was originally a single platform on the single track line to Maybole, the platform being on the north/west side of the line.
This is a five arch double track viaduct carrying one track.
This was originally a single platform station. The goods yard was at the north end, west side of the line and approached from the north.
Also known as Maybole and Girvan Railway Junction and Maybole Goods Junction. This was the junction between the original route of the Ayr and Maybole Railway and its extension by the Maybole and Girvan Railway south to Girvan. The junction was some way north east of Maybole as an end-on junction between the lines was not possible. The original terminus was left on a short ...More details
This was a short lived station and terminus, the line being extended on to Girvan [1st] not long after opening. The terminus was left on a short branch and converted into a goods station. Maybole station, to the south west, replaced it.