Opened on the Maybole and Girvan Railway.
Open on the Glasgow to Ayr and Stranraer.
This is a single platform station, formerly a two platform station. The southbound platform remains in use, the northbound is overgrown, disused since 1973. The station building, on remaining in use platform, is of red sandstone and two storeys. It is partly in railway use, partly housing and also houses a convenience store. The building on the former northbound platform has been demolished.
There was an elegant lattice footbridge between the platforms and Cargill Road, but this has been replaced with a more accessible bridge.
There was a goods yard at the east end of the station, approached from the east and north, despite the original Maybole [1st] at the east end of the town being converted into a goods yard. The yard and signal box closed in 1955. The goods yard site, following a period of other uses, is now the Carrick Centre .
The line was doubled around 1894/95, there had been a loop at the station before the doubling. It was singled between Dalrymple Junction and Girvan in 1973. (A passing loop was retained at Kilkerran).
Heads of Ayr [1st)
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Other railway and industry locations
Maybole Junction [Maybole]
Capenoch Signal Box
Kilkerran Acid Works
Maybole Collegiate Church
Myremill Farm Level Crossing
Balchriston Level Crossing Halt
Croy Electric Brae
Souter Johnnie^s Cottage
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|