Kilkerran was a double platform station with the main two storey station building on the southbound platform.
The station had a loop before doubling of the route between Ayr and Girvan. This was controlled by north (no 1 box looking after the level crossing) and south (no 2 box access to the goods yard) boxes, both opened in 1878. These were replaced by a single box at doubling in 1895. This box remains in use on the north side of the level crossing, west side of the line.
The goods yard was on the east side of the line, approached from the south.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The railway was singled in 1973 to north and south leaving Kilkerran as a loop.
The station building still stands, in use as a house, and the goods yard is a small industrial unit. The goods shed still stands. There are a number of railway cottages to the north of the former station.
Kilkerran box is a fringe box leading to the unusual combination of lever frame and computer with mimicked panel. To the south the line is semaphore controlled. The box still controls the level crossing.
The box is roughly half way between Dalrymple Junction (end of the double track from Ayr and commencement of the single track) and Girvan. It has survived with a loop when even Maybole station, the only stations till open on this section, has lost its loop. Maybole is closer to Ayr, not midway.
| Kilkerran Acid Works|
Maxwell No 4 Colliery
Dalquharran Signal Box
Romilly Colliery Maxwell No 2 Colliery
Dalquharran Tile Works
Capenoch Signal Box
Dalquharran 1,2 Mine
Bargany Signal Box
Sir Charles Fergusson's Monument
Maybole Collegiate Church
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|