This was the first railway in Scotland to run (albeit briefly) a locomotive. The line ran from Kilmarnock to Troon with branches to coal mines. Much of the route is still open (the branches, termini, and some portions have been closed and replaced). The line is open for both freight and passengers.
The Laigh Milton Viaduct, on one of the closed sections, remains standing.
This line was built to convey coal from mines around Kilmarnock to a new port at Troon.
Today the line carries both passengers and freight.
|/ /||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Arnott Young open a shipbreaking yard in Troon Harbour, which also scraps locomotives.
|/ /1807||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
William Jessop surveys route on the instructions of the Duke of Portland.
|27/05/1808||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1812||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Opened from Kilmarnock [1st] to Troon Harbour by the 4th Duke of Portland.
|06/07/1812||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
|/ /1817||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Trials of a Stephenson's locomotive (first railway engine in Scotland).
|/ /1818||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Branch from Drybridge to Peatland Colliery opened.
|/ /1846||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Transferred to Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
|16/07/1846||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Line leased to the Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway and re-gauged for locomotives.
|/ /1849||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Peatland Colliery branch closed.
|/ /1865||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway
Glasgow and South Western Railway|
Kilmarnock and Troon Railway merged with Glasgow and South Western Railway.
|16/07/1899||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Line bought by Glasgow and South Western Railway.
|/ /1969||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Drybridge and Gateside stations closed.
|03/03/1969||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Barassie to Kilmarnock closed to passengers.
|03/05/1969||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Kilmarnock No 2 to Barassie Junction closed to passengers.
|05/05/1975||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Barassie to Kilmarnock re-opened to passengers (on closure of Annbank to Mauchline to passengers).
|/ /1980||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Meadowhead Caledonian Paper Mill opened.
|/ /1980||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Kilmarnock to Barassie re-opened to passengers.
The line runs from Kilmarnock to Troon Harbour. The Kilmarnock terminus and approach are long closed, from near here the line is open until near Laigh Milton Viaduct wher e the original route is closed over the viaduct. Just to the west the line continues intact to near Barassie wher e the original alignment was changed by the opening of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. From here the line ran parallel to the later Troon Loop to Troon Harbour.
These locations are along the line.
This was a passenger terminus. It was the first station in Kilmarnock and opened in 1818.
This junction was formed in 1847 when the original route of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway (upgraded and converted to standard gauge) was linked by a new connection to Kilmarnock Junction, allowing Kilmarnock [1st] to replace Kilmarnock (St Marnocks) as the terminus of the line from Troon.
This junction was located between Kilmarnock and the former station at Gatehead. A box opened here in 1900 and a line opened eastwards to Mayfield Junction in 1902. This was a double track junction. The box was on the south side of the line.
This junction was east of Gatehead station. A branch from the Kilmarnock and Troon ran south east to cross the River Irvine to serve Fairlie Colliery, Caprington Colliery and other pits. The branch was single track, with a loop at the junction, and the main line double track. The signal box was in the 'V' of the junction.
This was a two platform station to the west of a level crossing. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. The goods yard was on the south side of the line, approached from the west. There was a signal box at the level crossing, on the west side of the road and south side of the line.
The 1812 Laigh Milton Viaduct is thought to be the earliest surviving viaduct built on a public railway. The viaduct is 5 miles west of Kilmarnock. It is a four arch double track viaduct over the River Irvine. The engineer for the viaduct, as for the whole route, was William Jessop.
This two platform station opened on the re-gauged and rerouted line. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. The original alignment was to the north, starting from west of the station and running east to Girtridge Mill. The west end of this original route was retained as a siding for the station - on the north side of the line and approached from the west. To the east was a ...More details
This signal box was on the portion of line between Barassie Junction and Templehill Junction on the route opened re-opened in 1846 as a standard gauge line replacing the old 1812 Kilmarnock and Troon Railway approach to Troon Harbour Goods.
This junction was in Troon, just east of the harbour. The lines from Barassie Junction, to the north east, and Troon Junction, to the south east, met before running west into the harbour to serve its west side and eastern breakwater. The curve to the north east was the rebuilt line of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway.
This was the passenger terminus of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway. The station was located in the harbour.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Britains Historic Railway Buildings: A Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
National Series of Waterway, Tramway and Railway Atlases: Ayrshire v. 1h
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Oxford Companion to British Railway History: From 1603 to the 1990s
THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF BRITAIN: 150 YEARS OF RAILWAY ARCHITECTURE AND ENGINEERING.