This junction was located between Kilmarnock and the former station at Gatehead. A box opened here in 1900 and a line opened eastwards to Mayfield Junction in 1902. This was a double track junction. The box was on the south side of the line.
North of the junction was a goods line which began further west at Fairlie Junction and ran parallel and to the north of the main line to Thirdpart Junction where it turned north to serve collieries.
Initially there was no connection between the northern branch and the main line here.
The signal box closed in 1938 when the line east to Mayfield Junction was largely closed - it was removed between Thirdpart Junction and near Riccarton Signal Box.
A siding, using the route of the former branch to the north, served the Moorfield Industrial Estate via a headshunt off the eastbound line.
Riccarton and Craigie
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Irvine Bank Street
| Thirdpart Siding|
St Marnocks Junction
Riccarton Signal Box
Laigh Milton Viaduct
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1902||Thirdpart Junction to Mayfield Junction (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Thirdpart Junction (Kilmarnock and Troon Railway) to Mayfield Junction (Galston Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway) opened to goods and minerals.
|/ /1938||Thirdpart Junction to Mayfield Junction (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Thirdpart Junction (excluded) to Riccarton and Craigie (excluded) closed. Bellfield Junction (excluded) to Mayfield Junction (excluded) closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Britains Historic Railway Buildings: A Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
National Series of Waterway, Tramway and Railway Atlases: Ayrshire v. 1h
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Oxford Companion to British Railway History: From 1603 to the 1990s
THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF BRITAIN: 150 YEARS OF RAILWAY ARCHITECTURE AND ENGINEERING.