Thirdpart Junction to Mayfield Junction (Glasgow and South Western Railway)

Introduction

This line could be considered somewhat less than successful. It opened in 1902 and closed in 1938. Probably built as a Kilmarnock bypass to carry coal to Troon and Ayr and probably in connection with the extension (1896) of the Newmilns branch (1850) to Strathaven (1903) with a hope that traffic would come this way from the Caledonian.

A connection from Kay Park Junction to Bellfield junction opened in 1904 and remains open today (currently disused). With closure of Thirdpart Junction to the Gasworks and from Bellfield junction to Mayfield junction the line became a branch serving the gasworks, Glenfield works and Kirkstyle Colliery. The gasworks line closed in 1965. Today it serves an oil depot only, just shy of Riccarton.

The station built at Riccarton and Craigie probably never saw scheduled passenger use. Kay Park Junction to Thirdpart Junction could be used as a diversionary route for passenger trains.




Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Thirdpart to Mayfield

This junction was located between Kilmarnock and the former station at Gatehead. A box opened here in 1900 and a line opened eastwards to Mayfield Junction in 1902. This was a double track junction. The box was on the south side of the line.
...

More details

See also
Kilmarnock and Troon Railway
156462 forming the 1A35 Kilmarnock to Stranraer train on 4 June 2011. Photographed near Dundonald Road from the A71 overbridge. ...
Ken Browne 04/06/2011
Fairlie Junction looking east, 17 November, 1985. The hut visible was in the vee of the junction and taller tree/bush on the right is on the Fairlie ...
Robert Blane 17/11/1985
Looking west from the Troon Road (A759) overbridge just east of the former Thirdpart Junction at Moorfield, Kilmarnock, 10 January, 2016. Trees on the ...
Robert Blane 10/01/2016
Jubilee 45657 Tyrwhitt photographed at Thirdpart Junction on 6 May 1954 with a Kilmarnock to Ayr train. [Ref query 2631] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1964
4 of 4 images.




This was an island platform station which never opened to regular traffic. The line was used for diversions. The station was south of Kilmarnock on a line which essentially bypassed the town for traffic originating to the east such as at Galston and passed through to the west towards Barassie. There was also a link to Kilmarnock station.
...

More details
Riccarton & Craigie station entrance, close up showing decorative carving on the archway, 20 October, 1985, before the demolition men set to. There ...
Robert Blane 20/10/1985
Riccarton & Craigie station entrance and bridge abutments (station had an island platform), looking southwest from across Campbell Street in ...
Robert Blane 20/10/1985
Looking east from the western abutment of the River Irvine viaduct on the Riccarton Branch between Riccarton & Craigie Station and Thirdpart Junction, ...
Robert Blane 19/10/1985
3 of 3 images.


This oil depot received regular deliveries from Grangemouth until recently (2018). The depot is at Riccarton, south of Kilmarnock on a branch from Kay Park Junction, the remains of lines which also ran west to Thirdpart Junction and east to Mayfield Junction.
...

More details






This junction was south of Kilmarnock. A double track from Mayfield Junction to Thirdpart Junction, essentially a Kilmarnock bypass for the Darvel line, opened in 1902. This junction was formed in 1904 when a connection was made to this from Kay Park Junction. The box opened the year before, 1903. The box was on the north side, just west of the junction.
...

More details


This was a four way junction. It was located on the Galston branch. To the west was the main line to Kilmarnock to the north west and goods line to Thirdpart Junction to the west. to the east were the Mayfield Branch to the north east and Galston line to the east.
...

More details

See also
Galston Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Mayfield Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)





Kay Park to Bellfield

This junction is east of Kilmarnock station. A 1904 spur from Kay Park Junction ran south to join the 'Kilmarnock bypass' between Thirdpart Junction and Mayfield Junction meeting that line at Bellfield Junction. A number of works had opened at Bellfield and Riccarton and the connection provided a goods route to these from the north.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway
66205 (TO) at Kay Park Junction south of Kilmarnock with a loaded MGR
...
Colin Howat 01/11/2004
Stanier 8F 2-8-0 no 48708 passing Kay Park Junction, Kilmarnock, on 6 May 1954 with a down freight. [Ref query 71] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
Carlisle Kingmoor based Jubilee 4-6-0 no 45640 Frobisher passing Kay Park Junction on 6 May 1954 with a St Enoch - Dumfries train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
Class 2P 4-4-0 40638 passing Kay Park, Kilmarnock, on 22 May 1961 with a Darvel to Ardrossan train. [Ref query 995] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/05/1961
4 of 7 images. more


This junction was south of Kilmarnock. A double track from Mayfield Junction to Thirdpart Junction, essentially a Kilmarnock bypass for the Darvel line, opened in 1902. This junction was formed in 1904 when a connection was made to this from Kay Park Junction. The box opened the year before, 1903. The box was on the north side, just west of the junction.
...

More details