This junction was south of Kilmarnock. A double track from Mayfield Junction to Thirdpart Junction, essentially a Kilmarnock bypass for the Darvel line, opened in 1902. This junction was formed in 1904 when a connection was made to this from Kay Park Junction. The box opened the year before, 1903. The box was on the north side, just west of the junction.
To the west of the junction Riccarton Goods was laid out on the north side of the 1902 line, approached from the junction. The Glenfield Works to the north were also served.
Further sidings were laid for works to the north, all served from the junction.
In 1938 both the line east to Mayfield Junction closed and (further west) the line to Thirdpart Junction. The box was closed. The line was now a branch serving various works from Kay Park Junction.
The sidings have been progressively cut back. Riccarton Goods became Riccarton Oil Depot.
The junction site is now the Hurlford Road, the original alignment being lost. The line was relocated to the north.
The oil depot now sees no traffic (2019) and the branch is out of use.
Riccarton and Craigie
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
| Kirkstyle Colliery|
Riccarton Oil Depot
Riccarton Corn Mill
Kay Park Junction
Hurlford North Signal Box
Riccarton Signal Box
Portland Iron Company Siding (Inwards)
Portland Iron Company Siding (Outwards)
Portland Colliery No 4 Pit
Kilmarnock Water Viaduct
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1904||Thirdpart Junction to Mayfield Junction (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Kay Park Junction to Bellfield Junction opened.
|/ /1938||Thirdpart Junction to Mayfield Junction (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Thirdpart Junction (excluded) to Riccarton and Craigie (excluded) closed. Bellfield Junction (excluded) to Mayfield Junction (excluded) closed.