Mayfield Junction (1848-1965)
Opened on the Galston Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
Opened on the Mayfield Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
This was a four way junction. It was located on the Galston branch. To the west was the main line to Kilmarnock to the north west and goods line to Thirdpart Junction to the west. to the east were the Mayfield Branch to the north east and Galston line to the east.
The Mayfield branch opened with the Galston line. The original signal box opened in 1878. It was on the north side of the junction. To the south and east of the junction was Portland Pit Nos 6 and 7, approached from the junction.
In 1902 the Thirdpart Junction line was opened and the box was replaced, in a similar location. The new line made a double track connection to the Galston line. Loops were provided on the Mayfield branch closed to the junction (with a signal box at the north end of the yard, on the west side). Close to the junction a siding from the Portland Pit connected to the Thirdpart Junction line, allowing a train to leave the colliery without fouling the main Galston line.
The Thirdpart Junction line was closed in 1938. The signal box closed in 1958, replaced with a ground frame. By this date only the Hurlford Fireclay Works remained open on the Mayfield branch, which had been cut back.
The Galston branch closed in 1964 and the fireclay works siding closed in 1965, the line being cut back to the Hurlford Mineral Sidings.
The location is now a footpath.
Riccarton and Craigie
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Portland Pit Nos 6 and 7
Baltic Coal Pit
Hurlford Fireclay Works
Defiance Coal Pit
Cessnock Water Viaduct [North]
Barleith Signal Box
Dykehead Coal Pit
Dykehead Pit Siding
Barleith Pit No 2
Barleith Pit No 1
Portland Pit No 5 and 8
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|