This was an island platform station which never opened to regular traffic. The line was used for diversions. The station was south of Kilmarnock on a line which essentially bypassed the town for traffic originating to the east such as at Galston and passed through to the west towards Barassie. There was also a link to Kilmarnock station.
There was a goods yard, Riccarton Goods, to the east on the north side of the line, approached from the west.
The island platform had a canopied building. A subway at the east end gave access. The building was removed before the Second World War. A marshaling yard developed on the north side of the line and the site of the station, the platform being removed.
A short branch to the west served the Kilmarnock Gasworks and Kilmarnock Corporation Tramways depot.
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
| Kilmarnock Gasworks|
Riccarton Oil Depot
Riccarton Signal Box
St Marnock Mineral Depot
St Marnocks Junction
Grange Colliery No 1 Pit
Grange Colliery No 2 Pit
Kilmarnock Water Viaduct
Wabtec Rail Scotland Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1938||Thirdpart Junction to Mayfield Junction (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Thirdpart Junction (excluded) to Riccarton and Craigie (excluded) closed. Bellfield Junction (excluded) to Mayfield Junction (excluded) closed.