This was a two platform station. It was located in the south of Galston. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. There was a goods yard with a large shed on the north side, accessed from the east. There was a signal box at the east end, south side of the line.
A link to Galston Colliery connected to the line just east of the station where the goods yard line came off.
Galston was the terminus of the line from 1848 to 1850. At first the line was single track, although the trackbed was prepared for two tracks. The later westbound line was laid first.
To the west of the station was Gauchalland Colliery No 7 Pit.
The station and line closed in 1964.
Little remains of the railway in Galston, its route is now new housing. Some railway fencing remained to the west of the station.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
Riccarton and Craigie
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
| Galston Colliery|
Gauchalland Colliery No 4 Pit
Maxwood Colliery Pit No 1
Maxwood Signal Box
Gauchalland Colliery No 1
Gauchalland No 2 Pit Signal Box
Gauchalland Colliery Pit No 2
Strath Pit Siding
Loudon Colliery Pit No 3
Barr Castle [Galston]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|09/08/1848||Darvel Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Kilmarnock to Galston opened (actually opened by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway rather than the G&SWR).
|20/05/1850||Darvel Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
The branch was extended with the opening from Galston to Newmilns.