This station is closed. It was located to the south of Newmilns in Greenholm.
The original station, opened with an extension from Galston in 1848, was extremely minimal with just one platform and a couple of sidings approached from the east (buffer) end of the line.
When the line was extended east to Darvel it passed through a tunnel and had an end on junction with the line.
Newmilns station was the end of the double line which began at Hurlford, it continued as a single track to Darvel (although the ground was prepared for two lines only one was laid). Two boxes opened in 1896. No 1 box was at the west end of the station and south side of the line, opposite the turnout for the headshunt of the goods yard. No 2 box was at the east end of the station on the south side of the line at the end of the double track. At first only one platform sufficed, the original platform.
In 1909 the two boxes were replaced with a single box. This was at the west end of the westbound platform.
The later station had two platforms (a westbound platform was added) and a goods yard to the west and on the north side of the line (approached from the east via a headshunt).
The station and line closed in 1964.
The station site was redeveloped allowing expansion of the Newmilns Works (Vesuvius) Crucible factory to the south of Brown Street. This made refractory materials and ceramics used in the steel industry, eg at Ravenscraig Steel Works. This factory closed in 2009.
There was a siding here for the Windyhill Pit in the early days.
Not everything of the former railway in Newmilns is obliterated. East of the station is the disused Newmilns Viaduct.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Riccarton and Craigie
| Newmilns Works (Vesuvius)|
End of Galston Branch
Stoneygate Pit Siding - Newmilns Coal Depot
Loudon Colliery Pit No 3
Strath Pit Siding
Maxwood Signal Box
Maxwood Colliery Pit No 1
Darvel Goods [East]
End of Darvel Branch
Gauchalland Colliery No 4 Pit
Barr Castle [Galston]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|20/05/1850||Darvel Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
The branch was extended with the opening from Galston to Newmilns.
|01/06/1896||Darvel Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Newmilns to Darvel opened.