Darvel Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)

Introduction

This was an extension of the Galston branch from Newmilns (reached 1850) to Darvel opened in 1896. The trackbed and viaducts were prepared for a double track but a single track was laid. It closed in 1964.

The most major structure, built for two tracks but only ever carrying one, survives - Newmilns Viaduct.





Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Newmilns to Darvel



This disused long and low double track viaduct is east of the former Newmilns station on the 1896 extension to Darvel. Its west end is west of the River Irvine and it continued east over The Green to east of Union Street. Only one line was laid, the eastbound.
...

More details
Viaduct at Newmilns looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford //2004
Part of the G&SWR viaduct on the Kilmarnock to Darvel line at Newmilns on 1 July 2014. ...
Colin Miller 01/07/2014
2 of 2 images.


This station was a terminus, then a through station, then a terminus again and is now closed. It was located in the north of Darvel.
...

More details
View east over the overgrown remains of the two platforms at Darvel in 1996. The goods yard was to the right. A couple of lamp standards remained but ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
Darvel. Class 2 4.4.0 40571 on Darvel Branch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/07/1953
Darvel Station looking towards Strathaven in 1963 ...
John Robin 23/05/1963
3 of 3 images.