Galston Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)

Introduction

This line closed in 1964. Between Kilmarnock and Galston many coal mines were served. It was extended to Newmilns, Darvel and beyond through Loudonhill to Strathaven.





Route described

Initially built as a single track line on a double track trackbed. The first line was later the westbound track.


Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Hurlford to Galston

The original junction for the Galston branch was north of Hurlford station, the branch passing round a third platform, the southbound main line platform being an island. In addition to being the junction for Galston there was also a line east to the Portland Iron Works and west to Bellfield Colliery - both served from the north.
...

More details


This station is closed. Initially this was a three through platform station - two main line platforms (two tracks between) and the up platform was an island, the outside face of which was for the Galston Branch.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway
A St Enoch - Leeds express approaching Hurlford on 22 May 1961. The train is hauled by one of Holbeck's Britannia Pacifics, no 70053 Moray ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/05/1961
General view of Hurlford station in the spring of 1961 looking south. Hurlford station had been officially closed to passengers in March 1955. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/05/1961
Black 5 44850 picking up wagons at Hurford for an express freight to St Pancras in June 1954. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/06/1954
A down freight trundles through Hurlford in the spring of 1954 behind Stanier 8F 2-8-0 48612. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
4 of 6 images. more




Hurlford signal box was to the south of Hurlford station. It was on the west side of the junction between the G&SWR main line from Glasgow to Carlisle and the Galston branch. The box still stands, although unused.
...

More details
Kingmoor Jubilee 4-6-0 no 45728 Defiance runs south through Hurlford on 6 May 1954 with a Glasgow St Enoch - Leeds City express.
See
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
2P 4-4-0 no 40669 joins the main line at Hurlford with a local off the Darvel branch on 2 June 1954. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/06/1954
A down freight passing Hurlford in the summer 1964. The locomotive is Crab 2-6-0 no 42757. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/06/1954
View south at Hurlford on 2 June 1956 with 2P 4-4-0 40665 about to join the main line with a train off the Darvel branch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/06/1956
4 of 12 images. more


Also known as the Barleith Mineral Sidings. These sidings were in the 'V' of the junction between the main line running south from Kilmarnock to Carlisle and the Galston branch. Some sidings were to the north of the Galston branch, approached from the east.
...

More details
The Johnny Walker sidings at Barleith, Hurlford, seen from a passing train in 1985. Some of the private-owner vans have survived into preservation.
...
Bill Roberton //1985
1 of 1 images.


This was a railway halt, also known simply as Barleith. The halt opened to serve Hurlford Shed and the Hurlford Mineral Sidings. To the east was Mayfield Junction.
...

More details
Looking west over what was Barleith station and Hurlford shed in 1988. Not much remained, although the warehousing was rail served. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
View looking east from Barleith (behind camera) in 1988. In this direction, the view is little altered since closure see image 34527. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
A WD 2-8-0 propelling a brake van from the Darvel direction passing under the bridge at Barleith, by Hurlford shed, in August 1962. Barleith station ...
Colin Miller /08/1962
3 of 3 images.


This was a four way junction. It was located on the Galston branch. To the west was the main line to Kilmarnock to the north west and goods line to Thirdpart Junction to the west. to the east were the Mayfield Branch to the north east and Galston line to the east.
...

More details

See also
Mayfield Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Thirdpart Junction to Mayfield Junction (Glasgow and South Western Railway)






This was the signal box for Portland Pit No 5 and 8. The box was on the north side of the line opposite the colliery on the south side. Access to the colliery was from the west.
...

More details


This signal box controlled access to Holmes Pit No 4, a mine between Kilmarnock and Galston on the north side of the line served by a siding which ran north east from the box.
...

More details






This signal box, for the Gauchalland No 2 Pit, was to the west of Galston. The box was on the south side of the line, opposite the pit, which was served by a trailing connection to the westbound line (to the west) and trailing connection to the eastbound line (to the east). Just to the east was a facing connection from the eastbound line for a short mineral line north to [[Goatfell ...

More details








This was a two platform station. It was located in the south of Galston. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. There was a goods yard with a large shed on the north side, accessed from the east. There was a signal box at the east end, south side of the line.
...

More details






This 1889 signal box was on the Galston branch between Galston, to the west, and Newmilns. It controlled access to Maxwood Colliery Pit No 1. The signal box was on the north side of the line and the colliery on the south side. Exit from the colliery to the west made a trailing connection to the westbound line and the eastern exist made a trailing connection (across the westbound ...

More details








This station is closed. It was located to the south of Newmilns in Greenholm.
...

More details
View east towards Newmilns station in 1996. The station site was redeveloped after closure. ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
BR Standard class 4 no 80077 calls at Newmilns with the branch stopping train in the early 1960s. Newmilns lost its passenger service in April 1964. ...
Andy Carr Collection //
2 of 2 images.