Barassie

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Barassie (1839-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.

Open on the Glasgow to Ayr and Stranraer.


Description

This is a two platform station on the Glasgow-Ayr route.

To the immediate south is Barassie Junction where a route to Kilmarnock branches off, formerly served by platforms of the station.

This was a four platform station. There were two platforms on the Kilmarnock route, which is now singled - the eastbound platform remains, no longer served by the track. There was a goods yard on the east side, approached from the south.

Until the 1980s there was a G&SW style timber station building at 90 degrees to the southbound Glasgow platform, shared with the eastbound Kilmarnock platform.

The two platforms on the Glasgow-Ayr route cross over the former alignment of the original Kilmarnock and Troon Railway. The original alignment approached from the north east on a similar alignment, then crossed through the station site to run slightly further west than the later alignment to reach Troon.

When re-gauged the Kilmarnock line crossed over the Glasgow-Ayr route south of the station. There were curves to allow running from Troon Harbour to Glasgow and from Ayr to Kilmarnock. This original junction was replaced with another further south around the 1880s, (thus removing the flat crossing), the disused approach to Troon Harbour become a blind set of sidings approached from the original junction.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map

Facilities

Bike rack
Free parking
Ticket machine
Unstaffed