This is a two platform station in Troon, to the east of the harbour. It is a fine station with timber frame original buildings and canopied platforms - the canopies are braced across the trackbed.
Troon, in common with several other Ayrshire resorts, is noted for its golf courses. This growing traffic led to the need to have a better station closer to the town centre.
The station is the third Troon station and replaced Troon [2nd] which was to the east. The station was on a section of line which opened in 1892 from Lochgreen Junction (to the south) to Barassie Junction to the north. A curve from south of the station ran to Templehill Junction in the harbour, bypassing the station.
There was no goods yard, the older station having one. The station was served by local trains, longer distance trains and goods trains taking the original route through the second station.
The architect was James Miller.
Prestwick International Airport
Ayr Shed [1st]
Irvine Bank Street
| Troon Junction|
Arnott, Young and Co [Troon]
Burnfoot Signal Box
Barassie PW Depot
Ailsa Shipbuilding Yard
Troon Harbour Goods
Monkton Oil Sidings
Meadowhead Paper Mill
Shewalton Moss Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1865||Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Line authorised, extending the Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway) west. A Bill for a branch to Glespin is abandoned. Caledonian Railway given running powers from Muirkirk [1st] to Ayr and Troon.
|/ /1896||Strathaven and Darvel Railway
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark, Spireslack and Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lines authorised for the Caledonian Railway. The Glasgow and South Western Railway is granted running powers over these lines in exchange for the Caledonian Railway having running powers from Darvel to Troon and Kilmarnock to Ayr.