Troon [1st] (1818-1847)
Troon Harbour (1847-1850)
Opened on the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the passenger terminus of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway. The station was located in the harbour.
The line was re-gauged to standard gauge in 1847 to connect with the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. The station remained open after the opening of that line because there was a steamer service from the harbour to England. Southbound trains on the main line divided at Barassie with one portion running to the harbour and the other continuing south on the main line.
The steamer was withdrawn with the opening of the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway and the station likely closed at the same time. After closure the harbour continued to be served by mineral and goods trains until the 1960s.
Nothing remains, however the harbour is still in use.
Prestwick International Airport
Irvine Bank Street
Ayr Shed [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Troon Harbour Goods
Burnfoot Signal Box
Meadowhead Paper Mill
Monkton Oil Sidings
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Britains Historic Railway Buildings: A Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
National Series of Waterway, Tramway and Railway Atlases: Ayrshire v. 1h
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Oxford Companion to British Railway History: From 1603 to the 1990s
THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF BRITAIN: 150 YEARS OF RAILWAY ARCHITECTURE AND ENGINEERING.