Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
This was initially the terminus of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway between 1843 and 1848, the site being roughly the same as the present Kilmarnock station.
The first station in Kilmarnock was Kilmarnock (St Marnocks), the terminus of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway. This was further south.
A link to the Troon line opened in 1847. In 1848 it became a through station when the line was extended south. At the same time the line to Irvine opened to the north west giving access to Ardrossan Town. The line north to Barrhead and Glasgow opened in 1873.
The original station building, on the southern (northbound) platform remained in use at the through station, only being replaced in 1878 during much needed station enlargement. The original building was in Georgian style. The architect/engineer was John Miller. It was demolished despite being listed. The building was reminiscent of his work at Haymarket.
The carriage shed was to the north of the station and the locomotive shed to its west, north of Kilmarnock Junction.
This superb early building remained in railway use until some time in the 1980s. It survived until the early 1990s and has been demolished. It was a three storey building on the station approach on the street side, the station being above at first floor level.
The building^s site is now part of the car park. It was locatedly directly to the west of the current main station building, the back wall being replaced with a heavily buttressed structure.
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Riccarton and Craigie
| Kilmarnock Shed [3rd]|
Wabtec Rail Scotland Works
Kilmarnock Joint Goods
Kilmarnock Engine Shed [1st]
J. Walker Kilmarnock
Kilmarnock Joint Shed
Kilmarnock Power Box
Kilmarnock Engine Shed [2nd]
Kilmarnock Water Viaduct
Caledonia Works Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|