Auldhouseburn Junction (1898-1911)
Opened on the Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was built as a double track junction for the new line to Coalburn, built in 1898. The original line opened in 1873.
Both the lines east to Lanark and north to Coalburn had loops, the west ends of each loop meeting at the junction in the double track junction. There was a signal box in the 'V' of the junction, in line with the Lanark route. The box never opened. Just to the north on the Coalburn route was the Auldhouseburn Viaduct.
Note that Auldhouseburn Colliery Signal Box was a separate box, located to the south west.
The Coalburn route did not open to regular traffic and the signal box was not opened. The junction was taken out and lever frame removed in 1911.
The base of the box remains today, built in red brick. The railway closed in 1964.
These was apparently a Crossflat box. Crossflats Farm is to the south of the junction site making this the possible location. Another box, Ashawburn Signal Box, was further east about half way between Auldhouseburn and Glenbuck. It's unlikely this box would carry the name Crossflat.
Other railway and industry locations
Auldhouseburn Coal Pit
Auldhouseburn Colliery Signal Box
Muirkirk GSW and CR Junction
Bankend Pit (Limestone)
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|