This line extended the Glenbuck Branch (Caledonian Railway) to Muirkirk [2nd] (Auldhouseburn Junction) on the Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway).
The line never opened to through public. The Glasgow and South Western Railway were likely to ask for running powers and the possibility of their running trains in Lanarkshire stopped the Caledonian opening the line.
|10/09/1888||Glenbuck Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Glenbuck and Galawhistle branch opened to minerals, extending the line from Bankend south west. Originally a private line. The further portion running west to Muirkirk, the Mid Lanark, Spireslack and Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway), was not opened
|/ /1896||Strathaven and Darvel Railway
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark, Spireslack and Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lines authorised for the Caledonian Railway. The Glasgow and South Western Railway is granted running powers over these lines in exchange for the Caledonian Railway having running powers from Darvel to Troon and Kilmarnock to Ayr.
These locations are along the line.
This was built as a double track junction for the new line to Coalburn, built in 1898. The original line opened in 1873.