Templehill Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Templehill Junction (1892-1966)

Opened on the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway.
Opened on the Troon Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

Description

This junction was in Troon, just east of the harbour. The lines from Barassie Junction, to the north east, and Troon Junction, to the south east, met before running west into the harbour to serve its west side and eastern breakwater. The curve to the north east was the rebuilt line of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway.

The juncion opened in 1892 with the newer alignment from Troon Junction. There was a weighing station to the south of the junction.

On the line to Barassie Junction there was a yard of around 8 looped sidings, the Templehill Junction being at its western end. A small gas works was at the eastern end, north side.

A goods yard, Templehill Depot, was south east of the junction, the sidings approached from the west.

To the west, between the harbour lines and breakwater line, was Troon Shed.

Just west of the junction and Troon Shed was Breakwater Crossing Signal Box, which controlled the level crossing, a road crossing over the harbour lines to reach the eastern breakwater.

The site of the original Kilmarnock and Troon Railway Troon [1st] station lay to the west of Templehill Junction and the level crossing.

In Troon Harbour were lines serving quaysides, staiths, a sawmill and the Ailsa Shipbuilding Yard.

The junction closed in 1966, the curve to Troon Junction having closed. The harbour lines and approach from Barassie Junction remained open until 1973.

Tags

Junction


Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

Britains Historic Railway Buildings: A Gazetteer of Structures and Sites

Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites

National Series of Waterway, Tramway and Railway Atlases: Ayrshire v. 1h

Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844

The Oxford Companion to British Railway History: From 1603 to the 1990s

THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF BRITAIN: 150 YEARS OF RAILWAY ARCHITECTURE AND ENGINEERING.