Troon [2nd] (1839-1892)
Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
The second station in Troon was opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. It was a two platform station with a goods yard north of the station on the west side, approached from the north. The main station building was on the northbound platform. (Troon [1st] station was located by the harbour to the west and was the terminus of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway).
In 1892 the station was replaced by the more central Troon station. Following this, the station became known as Troon Old and was used for excursion traffic and the line became a goods bypass of the new station. The goods yard remained open. It had a signal box, named 'Troon Goods' at the north end, east side of the line.
The Glasgow and South Western Railway developed their Barassie Carriage and Wagon Works to the north, on the west side of the line just south of Barassie Junction.
The signal box closed in 1967.
The line south of the station to Lochgreen Junction was closed in 1982 and further cut back a little in the 1990s, the track now stopping north of the station.
The station building is now a house and the line north to the buffer end has been developed for houses. A bridge, which was at the south end of the station where Dundonald Road crossed the line, remains intact.
Prestwick International Airport
Irvine Bank Street
Other railway and industry locations
Barassie PW Depot
Burnfoot Signal Box
Troon Harbour Goods
Meadowhead Paper Mill
Shewalton Moss Signal Box
Monkton Oil Sidings
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|