This was a two platform station to the west of a level crossing. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. The goods yard was on the south side of the line, approached from the west. There was a signal box at the level crossing, on the west side of the road and south side of the line.
A mineral line, reached by reversal, led off from the same location as the connection to the goods yard, it ran north to Windyedge Colliery and east to Moorfield Colliery.
To the west of the station the line followed three different routes over the years to cross the River Irvine, the original route being via the Laigh Milton Viaduct. This had quite tight curves considerably eased by the present alignment. (The old alignment passed south of the existing line before swinging north to the viaduct.)
To the east was Fairlie Junction for a mineral line which ran south.
The station closed to passengers in 1969. The box became a gate box only in 1974, when the line was singled, and closed, during the general resignalling of Ayrshire, in 1986.
The line remains open but now single track. Little remains of the station except a railway cottage north west of the level crossing.
Riccarton and Craigie
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Irvine Bank Street
| Fairlie Junction|
Laigh Milton Viaduct
Fairlie Colliery No 3 Pit
Lathe Mill Siding
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Britains Historic Railway Buildings: A Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
National Series of Waterway, Tramway and Railway Atlases: Ayrshire v. 1h
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Oxford Companion to British Railway History: From 1603 to the 1990s
THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF BRITAIN: 150 YEARS OF RAILWAY ARCHITECTURE AND ENGINEERING.