This is a two platform in the Newton area of Ayr, to the north of the River Ayr. The station is to the south of Falkland Yard and just north of Newton Junction.
The timber buildings were replaced in the 1950s with a brick structure on the down platform. This still stands but is bricked up. It bears a strong resemblance to the station building at Forres.
The station stands on a triangle of lines which approach Ayr Harbour. There is access to the harbour from the Irvine, Ayr and Mauchline directions.
Newtonhead or Newtownhead may have been located here. Two varying accounts exist
- (Quick) it may have been a ticket platform for Ayr [2nd] (opened 1856), as it only dealt with southbound trains
- (GSWRA) it only handled one up train daily (and was located on the Monkton Junction to Mossblown Junction line - which seems very unlikely as the dates 1864-1868 are completely incompatible with this line which opened in 1892)
A Newtonhead exists in Newton-on-Ayr and another near Cunninghamhead (to its east).
Ayr Shed [1st]
Prestwick International Airport
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [1st)
| Newton Junction [Ayr]|
Ayr Harbour Junction
Scottish Agricultural Industries Works
Newton Carpet Works
Ayr Tram Depot [Trams]
Ayr Harbour South
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1878||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Ayr Shed [2nd] opened in triangle of lines to the south of Newton-on-Ayr station. Possibly 1879.