This was an interchange platform with two faces in the 'V' of Holehouse Junction. The 1856 line from Ayr to Dalmellington was met by a 1872 branch from Belston Junction via Rankinston giving it access towards Dalmellington and particularly the Dalmellington Iron Works at Waterside. Both lines were single track.
The station did not open until 1895. Facilities were minimal and there was no public access. The platform was in timber with a small waiting hut. There was a signal box (1884) at the top of the cutting to the south, by the actual junction, on the west side.
The station closed in 1950 with the line east to Rankinston. The box survived until 1964.
The junction had a brief renaissance when a ground frame was installed and track was relaid to east to the Broomhill Loading Pad (for opencast coal) in 1998. It saw very little use and closed around 2002, the points at the junction surviving a little longer.
The main line remains open, but currently carries no traffic (2018).
Railway cottages to the west survive.
Cairntable Halt [Knockshinnoch]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Craigmark Pit No 4
| Smithston Mine|
Broomhill Loading Pad
Polnessan trap points
Carnochan No 2
Carnochan No 1
Kerse Incline Top
Dalharco No 1
Dalharco No 2
Downieston No 1
Polnessan No 1 Pit
Kerse Pit No 1 Ironstone
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1872||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Holehouse Junction to Belston Junction opened.
|03/04/1950||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Holehouse Junction to Rankinston to Belston Junction closed to passengers.
|18/07/1998||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Holehouse Junction to Broomhill Loading Pad, for the opencast just to the south, re-opened.